Three Spanish journalists who were kidnapped while working in Syria last year have been released and are due to return to Spain, the government says.
Antonio Pampliega, Jose Manuel Lopez and Angel Sastre disappeared from the northern city of Aleppo 10 months ago.
Parts of Aleppo are controlled by rebel groups including so-called Islamic State (IS), who have kidnapped and killed journalists in the past.
It is not yet clear who kidnapped Mr Pampliega, Mr Lopez and Mr Sastre.
The Spanish government statement said that the men were safe and well, and waiting in Turkey to be brought back to Spain.
The statement said allies including Turkey and Qatar were instrumental in freeing them.
Elsa Gonzalez, the president of Spain's federation of journalists, said the news was a cause for "joy and emotion".
Welcome to kyriannews Blog. News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Inspiration and Gossip!...
Saturday, May 7, 2016
Syria conflict: Kidnapped Spanish journalists freed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment